Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Biopsy, Graduation and What I've Been Up to So Far This Summer

It's been a while since I last updated my blog because I recently had a biopsy, graduated and then screwed up my internet because I am just that brilliant, but we got it working again and I'm ready to post all about the biopsy, graduation, the beginning of summer and all my doings.

The Biopsy
On the last week of school I was taken in to the Baptist Hospital Breast Center because the found  lump that takes up half of my breast, that they were almost positive was a fibroid, but wanted to double check because of its size and because the ultrasound was "undefined". All I know is that I was freaking out. I HATE needles. Probably more than I hate math and that's saying something. So I was freaking out even before the procedure took place. Then, besides a needle, since I'm much smaller than the average almost-eighteen-year-old, I guess they didn't give me enough numbing medication because I have a very high tolerance for medication and they did not take that into account, so as they were probing around in my boob, I was feeling absolutely every prod, poke and push. Needless to say it was not a pleasant experience and the afterward did not get any better. I had a painful itch for at least 2 days, there was throbbing pain sometimes, I apparently developed a hemotoma so my breast felt weird: all numb but still in pain (yes, I know, extremely oxymoronic) and it looked pretty raped what with all the bruising, the cut and the scratches the bandaging from the procedure had given me. All in all, very unpleasant. And then we got the call from the breast center. I don't have cancer. So we're all good :)

Graduation
Graduation day had to be one of the happiest of my entire life. I didn't really have time to hang out with any of my best friends, I barely took pictures, but I was finally free of Miami-Dade County Public School System and all of the crap that the name entails. A relief just kind of swept over my body and I was giddy, regardless of a recent biopsy. I looked great, despite the surgical procedure, I was sitting next to 2 close friends: Becky and Frank that I had known for almost all of high school. Graduated Kum Laude with a Diploma of Distinction and in the top 10%of my academy. My mom sobbed like a baby, I was sneaking photos on my phone, which, sadly I can't upload onto my computer, and it was just a great experience.


Summer
This summer I have been beyond busy. I started redesigning my room and now I'm actually doing it and we're only 2 weeks into the summer. My mom says I can be obnoxiously persistent when I want something. But I did it all the right way. I measured the whole room and then made a floor plan of what it was I basically wanted to do. Then I went furniture shopping. Priced around and found the best deals I could. I'm basically spending about $700 to redo my room completely: new furniture, painting, and decorating stuff, etc. Can't get any better than that. I've already painted and set up my new bookshelves and armoire. Today I will be putting in my new doorknob with a key (finally), taking off my closet doors which are in really foul shape and hoping that my bed comes in the mail so that I can make it and get my mattress sooner. So far this is what I have:
This is what I still have to get:
Here's basically what I'm doing with my room:
So I've been a bit busy doing that. My mom wants me to feel as comfortable as I can living at home for college so I can get the optimum college experience even though I'm not going away so this has been her graduation/birthday present to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment