Friday, November 26, 2010

No place like home... for the holidays only please

I’m Puerto Rican so I have a very extensive family. And most times I just want to run away from them all, pretend like they don’t exist. But every year when it comes time for the holidays, meaning the important ones like Thanksgiving and Christmas, there is nothing more I love than to be smothered and surrounded by the hundreds of people that are related to me in some way or another and feel that because of this relation they have some say in my life and what I do with it.

I just cannot imagine Thanksgiving without a full house and too much food that somehow manages to get completely devoured. Without the craziness, I feel it would not be the holidays.

The same goes for Christmas. I can’t picture a Christmas without every child running around like a crazy person barefoot and screaming, wrapping paper floating behind them. I used to be one of them and I have so much love for these memories.

My family may be huge and irritating and meddlesome and critical but they are also loving and forgiving and loyal and definitely a force to be reckoned with.  I wouldn’t trade my family for any other as hodgepodged and crazy as they are. It just makes me sad that it takes a major family holiday for me to realize that. I really will try to remember it more often

0 comments:

Post a Comment