Monday, March 22, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons...

This past Saturday, my mom and I were driving through my aunts neighborhood when we passed  by this little kid standing outside his front lawn with a table that was practically bigger than he was. We noticed that it was a lemonade stand. You always see little kids selling lemonade and cookies outside their houses in movies, but, that I can remember, I have never seen this in real life. We thought this was the quaintest, most adorable thing in the world so we pulled up beside the house to get out and see it. The little boy was named Michael and he couldn't have been older than 6 years old. His mother had baked muffins and made lemonade for him and his brother to sell. I bought some pink lemonade from Michael and he had a hard time lifting the jug of lemonade but he did it all by himself and asked me to tell him how much I wanted for my dime. His brother who I think was around the same age as him sold my mom a little itty bitty muffin with cranberries. She was just going to eat it right there, but he said, "If you buy a muffin it has to go in the bag," in the cutest little "this is the way it is and that's not going to change whether or not it makes sense" voice of his. So my mom said OK and thank you very much and she expected the muffin was going to be delicious and we said goodbye to the two little entrepeneurs and laughed and smiled about the experience all the way to the mall. The moment still makes me smile when I think about it. It's just one of those Hallmark moments you never will forget and I think I will probably smile about it 10 years from now. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and that's just what Michael and his brother did. They sold me and my mom life for ten cents apiece.

0 comments:

Post a Comment