Friday, May 7, 2010

Square Foot Gardening

My cousin recently contacted me to let me know that she had some "baby plants" that she had no space for and if I perhaps would like to start a garden and she could donate them to me. This has been a dream of mine for a very long time. I don't know exactly why, but it has been and now it is finally to be fulfilled.

I think everyone should create a garden and I also think everyone is capable of it. Especially with this thing my cousin told me about called square foot gardening, where basically you make a box 4ft x 4ft dived into 1ft x 1ft squares so that each plant is separated. Like this you can grow, tomatoes, herbs, squashes, fruits and beans in an organized fashion and since the garden is small, it is easier to take care of, the plants are easy to water and all you need is a space big enough for a 4x4 box.



There are a lot of really great benefits to growing your own garden, even if you just start with a few plants. The food you buy in markets is highly contaminated with pesticides and other chemicals like preservatives that aren't really that good for you. By growing your own veggies you control what chemicals are going into your body, eat healthier, food tastes better, and gardening is a great form of relaxation and discipline. Also, after your garden is finished, you have something to be proud of, almost like a child. Not to mention, square foot gardens are attempting to stop world hunger which has become a serious problem especially in third world countries where governments do not have enough money to pay for subsidized farming (which should be OK since that's bad for us anyway...)



I am going to be starting my square foot garden very soon. First I have to gather the materials to make the box, the soil, the seeds and germinated plants I will be planting, and then I have to build the box and then I'm set. I guess it could be somewhat of a project for discipline and living a healthier lifestyle.

If you are interested in the benefits and how to start you own square foot garden here are some links to help you get started:

http://current.com/news/89867838_introducing-square-foot-gardening.htm

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/home

0 comments:

Post a Comment